Monday, January 2, 2012

dear standards.

dear standards,

i don't like you. i hate you. you make me get up early every morning despite my exhaustion and squeeze every ounce of energy i have out to make myself look presentable in public.
wouldn't life be easier if girls didn't wear any make up? at all? if we didn't have to worry about you? we would be judged by our natural beauty, not the amount of time we put into getting ready. people can tell me you don't have to wear make up, and they're right. i don't have to. but you make me.
you taught me that in order for someone to find me attractive, i better do anything in my power to make myself up to look pretty. it's time consuming, but most would say it's worth it. it's worth it to feel pretty, according to you. according to you i look like a dead and tired girl and need to buy a good 80 dollars worth of assorted powders and liquids to plaster to my face, covering any imperfection. you force me to curl my eyelashes and impale my eye with mascara wands, you force me to get my eyebrows butchered. you force me to fry every last living cell of my hair and you force me to follow your unfairness. i hate you.
it's sad most girls can't feel pretty without a ton of make up on. guys aren't used to seeing it. i haven't met one guy who has said they preferred to look at a girl without make up on versus wearing make up. i may have some shallow friends, but we can't lie, this is so common. this is your fault, too. it's all your fault.
girls should feel empowered when they show up somewhere with a clean face instead of feeling ugly.
make up doesn't make a girl beautiful. thanks for teaching us these "life lessons".... thanks a lot.

i hate you,
sarah

p.s. i hate you

No comments:

Post a Comment